Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Stop the Stereotyping!': Zesh on Setanta

Being one of the few Asian players to have made it professionally should not be such a big issue, but unfortunately it is. I feel privileged to be in the position I’m in, but it would be nice to be looked at as a footballer only.
I got into the game by just doing kick ups for hours on end each day and by playing with my brother Riz and my mates on the streets of Birmingham. Everywhere was a football pitch! I grew up a stone’s throw from Villa Park and St Andrews but Aston Villa were always my team! I played for a local Sunday league team called Kinghurst before moving to London.

When I was in London I managed to get scouted by Fulham when I was 12 and playing for my local district side Sutton in a cup final. I scored the winning penalty - back in those days I was a striker! From then I worked through the schoolboy, youth and reserve teams and eventually into the first team at Fulham via a brief loan spell at Brighton.
What contributes to the lack of Asian players in the game? I think the fact that there are very few role models out there and the stereotypes that are made, like the players being physically weak, having the wrong diet and being scared of the weather are two of the reasons.
To see more numbers, the generalisations and stereotyping needs to stop and the kids need to be judged on an even playing field.
I think the culture factor has been made an issue by others. The reason my experience was different was because I managed to find a balance that allowed me to be dedicated to my football without neglecting religion.
I also had to make a lot of sacrifices like seeing my mates and going on nights out etc. At the same time, I had the full support of my parents and family.
There is lots of good work being done by various campaigns such as The Asian Football Network, The PFA, Show Racism The Red Card and Kick It Out to name but a few. They are rasing the awareness of the whole issue of why there are only four players of Asian origin at the 92 league clubs.
I think with their continued support the numbers will gradually increase. Encouraging kids to take part in sport clubs might help too as would going into the community and giving away free tickets. After-school clubs should be set up too for them to practice their skills.

0 comments:

Post a Comment